The Endless Work/Life Balance Brainstorm (Shit storm?)

Willum is almost 8 months old now and I am doing a lot of thinking on what I want to do professionally and how it can work with having two little kids. My amazing supervisors at the hospital are lobbying for me to apply for a full-time job, but I'm struggling to see how I would make it work with the kids and J's business. That would mean at least half-time daycare for Willum.
Then there is the idea of starting my own business (of what I'll keep to myself for now). That would be amazing in terms of combining with kids and J's business, but it would mean at least another year of very little income and questionable insurance.
I'm grateful for being in a position where I have choices and I want to take the time to make the choice that's right for us. Very black and white, that decision comes down to choosing between financial stability and days with the kids. A big part of me refuse to accept that I have to make that choice. So I continue to brainstorm other options, but also keeping in mind that trying it one way for a while,  might lead to new and better options a little down the road. Nothing is constant and living in Alaska has taught me that I can do and be whatever I want. There are very few social constraints here and people shape their lives in very different ways, accepting that people around them might do the opposite. It's what I love most about living here, and it's also what makes me unfit to live anywhere else :)


Comments

Popular Posts