Arctic Winter Games and lazy Sundays..

You have to bear with me this spring as I am writing this thing called a Master thesis and hope to become a full-on professional cultural anthropologist within the next two months. Therefore I do not blog as much as usual. However I do my best to give you something to read every other week.
March has been wonderfully warm here in Fairbanks. Everyday a little more snow melts. Yesterday I was able to take a walk on actual pavement and Delta ran along in actual mud next to me.. safe to say she was a very dirty little dog at the end of our adventure.
In other news we just finished hosting the Arctic Winter Games in town. It was quite the ordeal with about 5000 people coming to town to compete and partake in the Games. 2000 of those were teenagers as the Games are for young athletes. I worked as a volunteer interpreter for the Greenlandic delegations. They did not really need me as they spoke English and frankly some of the younger athletes looked at me as if I was crazy when I started speaking Danish to them. They were just not expecting it. I did get to speak with some of the coaches and they were all very nice. It makes me want to go to Greenland some day. J also worked at the Games - for about 20 hours a day, so when he finally finished early Sunday morning we took a much-needed lazy Sunday of eating good food, taking in the sunshine, watching movies and lying around. You can read about what he worked with in the Newsminer right here! (He is on the second picture of the slideshow).

Comments

Popular Posts