Thankful Peep From the Jetlag Haze

The kids and I just spent four amazing weeks in Denmark. Besides the fact that we missed J very much, it was an amazing trip with much needed time with my family. Traveling with two little kids alone meant I did not get to spent any real time with my friends, but I hope those opportunities will come on future trips and instead I got to see my children develop and strengthen their bonds with their Danish grandparents, aunts and uncles and cousin. It means everything to me that they have those relationships. As I have written about earlier, I struggle with my strategies for teaching the kids Danish, particularly because how do you know you are doing enough? This trip showed me that I am on the right path, as Una was able to understand everything and after three weeks she was speaking Danish in full sentences. Again, this means everything to me.
As I sit here at 3.30 am and listen to J play with the kids in the living room as we all have raging jetlag, I am just so thankful for the opportunity we have to give our children the gift of being bilingual and bicultural. It's often a lot of work but I know it expands their minds and worlds like nothing else will.




Comments

Popular Posts