October; the Darkest Month of the Year

Okay, that sounds ominous, but all I'm saying is that fall is over here in Fairbanks, Alaska. The leaves are on the ground and darkness has returned after a long summer of no darkness at all. The snow has not yet arrived and so when it's dark out, it's pitch-black, hands-in-front-of-you, can't-see-anything, dark. So it seems a lot darker than the winter months ahead, that might have less sunlight but lots of white snow covering the landscape.
October is countdown to Halloween in our little family, but with Willum's arrival it's also BIRTHDAY month. My littlest one turns 1 tomorrow. This first year with him, and as a mother of two, has blown by at a thunderous speed. We blinked and it was over. Did everyone get fed and bathed and developmentally stimulated? I think so. Is the house still standing? Mostly. I am definitely still trying to figure out how to be the best mom, my best self and the best partner all at the same time. I already miss the baby stages, that my children are now officially over, but I also welcome the developmental milestones they are reaching with glee (med kyshÄnd in Danish), because it gives us more time to be together and appreciate each other, instead of just surviving. I hope everyone who reads this understand that I am describing the chaos it is to live with tiny humans whose needs are always ahead of your own and that it is all said with a touch of sarcasm and lots of love.
Some words to describe the birthday boy: Calm and kind, mama's boy, chubby chub chub, little John, does not like loud sounds, didn't eat real food until month 11, Una, dad and morfar are only acceptable adult after mor, loves to touch faces.








Comments

Popular Posts