Intellectual pause

For a long time I've been thinking about how to maintain my intellectuality and how I might be loosing it living in the woods with access to Netflix.
When I finished graduate school in 2014 I was so excited to finally have time to read for fun and I might have taken that a little too far out the left field because all I read was terrible romance novels and light best-seller fiction. Then I got a full time job that kept me more than busy with reading grants, and literature on how to manage grants and understanding the American job market. And three weeks later I got pregnant and have pretty much only read things like  Skinny Bitch's Guide to pregnancy, birth stories on the internet and now Llama Llama Red Pyjama and Totte og Malene. I keep up with the news through online newspapers on my phone but I am so starved for intellectual reading fiction and non-fiction. When I quit my job I thought YES I'm going to read a bunch now and I bought Patti Smith's newest book, Gloria Steinem's new book and Naomi klein's book plus a really smart book light so I can read next to a sleeping child. But once the child has been put to bed I sort of just collapse onto the couch and maybe manage to grasp at Netflix and if I'm really ambitious some knitting. So when does the time and motivation come back? Did graduate school literally kill it? Was that it and I will never evolve? I mean I know I do constantly but not on the level that I could. At least not on a level where I feel I can constructively and to my own satisfaction contribute to engaging intellectual conversation. thebhunger for new knowledge is there. The motivation is there. And maybe that's all I can expect right now. With time the energy and head space will come as well and it will happen for me. So if you see me around please provide me a summary of the last intellectual thing you read so I can at least follow an adult conversation. Thank you. In return I can give you a complete memorization of Llama Llama Red Pyjama. 

Comments

Popular Posts